I have to admit, this is a reasonably new thing for the T&HMums Family to do, but having started last year it now feels like a bit of a tradition, almost akin to choosing a Christmas Tree. There aren’t that many Pumpkin Patches in the vicinity, but I’ve listed the ones I can find, and maybe this will become a Halloween tradition in your family too. Sorry.
A few pointers of which to be aware:
- Pumpkins become surprisingly heavy, especially if lugging a toddler under the other arm. Take some strong bags with you – IKEA bags are pretty handy for this purpose. Some places let you borrow wheelbarrows which are a godsend, but also like gold dust and highly sought-after amongst the pumpkin pickers…
- It can be muddy. Wellies are essential. And gloves are a good idea too.
- Don’t take your dog to the pumpkin patch with you; for obvious reasons dogs aren’t allowed.
- Check in with the farm before you leave to make sure they haven’t run out – apparently this does happen. Eeek.
- Following from #4, maybe don’t leave it too close to Halloween to choose your pumpkin.
PYO Venues within an hour’s drive…
- Chilton Manor Farm, Chilton Manor Farm, Highsted Road, Sittingbourne, Kent, ME9 0AA. http://www.chiltonmanorfarm.co.uk/. Open every day except Mondays for PYO Pumpkins from 15th October.
- Beluncle Farm, Hoo, Medway http://www.pyopumpkins.com. Check website for opening days. They have a large range of pumpkins, costing between £1 & £4. Also they take card payment (not AMEX).
- Stanhill Farm, Birchwood Road, Wilmington, Dartford, Kent, DA2 7HD. https://www.stanhillfarm.co.uk/maize-maze. From Monday 17th Oct until Halloween in the Pumpkin Patch, priced at 80p per kilo.
- Hewitts Farm, Court Road, A224, Orpington, Kent, BR6 9BX. http://www.hewittsfarm.co.uk/. Open for PYO Pumpkins from beginning of October. Cash only.
- Pick your own Pumpkins Farm www.pickyourownpumpkin.farm Located near Sevington, Ashford – use postcode TN25 7HX on your SatNav. See also www.facebook.com/pickyourownpumpkin. Weekends 10-4 and all over half term including Friday 21st October. Cash only.
- Pumpkin Moon - http://pumpkinmoon.uk - Old Chatham Road, Maidstone ME14 3BE, looks fabulous! Open 15 & 16 Oct and all over half term. Cards/cash.
NB Photo courtesy of Pick Your Own Pumpkin Farm (Ashford). Thank you!